MLAGB

MLAGB HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Build Own Cannon? (Read 10409 times)
5th Dec, 2004 at 10:48pm
mike_m   Ex Member

Hello All

Just joined MLAGB. Interested in building and firing 1:20 (or bigger) scale black powder cannons of the Napoleonic style.

Where can I get plans/drawings and material specifications to build my own? I have a lathe and access to a professional milling machine.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

I live in Cheshire area

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 6th Dec, 2004 at 9:41am

bill_curtis   Offline
Wales

I can let you have a set of the engineerig drawings of all guns in the British Service in 1853.  Many of these are unchanged from the Napoleonic period. All dimensions internal and external are shown.

This set is of the pieces only, not the carriages. I do also have detailed drawings of the carriages from about 1840 but the are not dimensioned to the same detail as the pieces.

Contact me off list.

Bill Curtis

W. S. (Bill) Curtis
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 7th Dec, 2004 at 6:43am
mike_m   Ex Member

Bill

Did you get my message? Not sure if I sent it correctly.

Mike_M

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 7th Dec, 2004 at 5:25pm
James_Walton   Ex Member

A note of caution:

I suggest that you check the law and consult with your local Police before beginning work.

Even a model cannon might be classed as a firearm or shotgun if it is capable of firing a shot and building one without the right permits could land you in very hot water indeed.

One useful source of advice could be the Sealed Knot, as these guys build and operate their own full-size replica cannon.

I think that some yaching / boating clubs also keep cannon for signalling purposes and they might be able to advise as to the applicable law.

Hope this helps,

James

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 7th Dec, 2004 at 8:04pm
mike_m   Ex Member

James

Thanks for your comments. I have contacted my local constabulary who say I need a Firearms Certificate and an Explosives Certificate!!!!!

Explosives must be for the black powder.

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 7th Dec, 2004 at 11:04pm

Robin_G_Hewitt   Online
gun nut

24 inches or more from touch hole to muzzle and up to 2 inches in bore would be a shotgun. Maybe you should change the scale a bit? How about actual size? Grin

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 11th Jan, 2005 at 5:28pm

Andrew   Offline
Love you long time
Batley

Hi 
I've wanted to build or fire a model cannon for ages and was in my local gun shop where they have a couple of model ones on display and for sale. On enquirying about them was told they were s1 firearms. How would you explain to the police that you were target shooting with it and also where could you fire it ?. Although the guy in the shop did say that the mlagb was looking at holding comps for them.
There are a few American companys that sell complete kit to build various models but I dont suppose you would be able to ship them over here

Rgds   Andrew

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 11th Jan, 2005 at 5:40pm

Andrew   Offline
Love you long time
Batley

Hi just found this non firing models bit the touch hole can be drilled may be easier to import as a model kit then modify and inform police

http://www.cannon-mania.com/kits-metal.htm

Rgds  Andrew Wink

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 4th Jul, 2005 at 8:38am

Southron   Offline
Georgia, USA

If you are interested in building your own FULL SCALE cannon, then check out the websites listed below.

The 'Rule of Thumb' seems to be for field pieces (18th or 19th Century) the cost of the carriage will be slightly higher than the cost of the barrel. IF you are handy with woodworking tools, then you can save some money on the carriage by purchasing a completed axle and a completed set of wheels, then you can build the rest of the carriage yourself.

Web site for "South Bend Replica Ordnance" is:

http://www.specialtymile.com/southbendreplicas/page8.htm

Website for Paulson Brothers Ordnance:

http://www.pbocorp.biz/

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 4th Aug, 2005 at 2:10am

Robin_G_Hewitt   Online
gun nut

Shame they're on the flip side of the planet Embarrassed

I'm tracking down some bunch in Germany casting iron cannon around steel tubing and selling them with a UK street legal proof for ball. Will report back.

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 21st Aug, 2005 at 6:30am
DaveP   Ex Member

I think it might pay you to calculate the muzzle energy of your cannon before you commit too much time or money.
I remember watching a history documentary a few years ago where they wanted to test fire a small cannon. As I recall it was fairly small -  something like 2" bore, which would fire a ball of around 3 to 4 lbs (I think!). The programme makers found they had to negotiate a slot on a military artillery range because the muzzle energy was too high for a UK civilian range.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 22nd Sep, 2005 at 9:05am

Robin_G_Hewitt   Online
gun nut

Good job the BBC are law abiding, otherwise they might have snuck off to a remote Welsh valley and blazed away to their heart's content Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 23rd Sep, 2005 at 12:01am

bill_curtis   Offline
Wales

Robin

Please check your messages.

Stenby was at Bisley last weekend but where were you?

As my address list has been destroyed prior to a couple of weeks ago I cannot e-mail direct to you until I get your address re-registered.

Stensby will be waiting for you at Bisley on Oct 1st at 200 Short Siberia.

Apologies to all our readers for an off-topic item but needs must.

Bill

W. S. (Bill) Curtis
IP Logged

Reply #13 - 22nd Oct, 2005 at 2:50am

justmike   Offline
OK, so whats the speed
of darkness then?

Mike. If you are after a cannon barrel please see your pms

IP Logged

Reply #14 - 29th Oct, 2005 at 3:22am

DoubleD   Offline
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

If you are interested in building a U.S. pattern cannon copies of original full scale drawings are available from:

Antique Ordnance Publishers
P.O.Box 610434
Port Huron, MI 48061

They provide drawings in 11" x 17" format.  The drawing set for the Civil War 12 PDR Napoleon, model 1857 on a No. 2 Carriage is $12 USD plus $5 USD priority mail. Overseas postage will of course be higher. The drawings are taken from a Microfiche of the original drawings.

I have several sets of these plans for various pieces and they are a bargain at the price.  If you are building a scale model gun these plans can easily be scaled down.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print