Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
MLAGB

MLAGB HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
william moore sxs percussion (Read 2040 times)
Aug 17th, 2006 at 5:54am
70guy   Ex Member

Hello guys,,,,picked up a muzzleloading sxs shotgun that is marked "william moore" on both side plates and "LONDON LAMINATED STEEL" on the barrel rib,,,,both bores measure .710" at the muzzle,,,,the whole gun has very fancy checkering and scroll work with inlays,,,,has orig ramrod as well,,,,any ideas,,,,information,,,,or values would be appreciated,,I am in Pennsylvania USA,,,,Thank you for your time and reply's,,,,,,,,,,,,JIM

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2006 at 8:32am

bill_curtis   Offline
Wales

I can probably enlarge upon this gun if you give me detailed descriptions of the proof marks under the breeches.  Any chance of photos ?

W. S. (Bill) Curtis
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2006 at 8:45am
70guy   Ex Member

bill , do you have an email address i can send pics to and give detailed descriptions of proof marks,,,you can reply to johnnab@npacc.net ,,,thanks,,,,,,,JIM

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2006 at 10:31pm

Feltwad   Offline

Jim.
Most likely your sxs is by William Moore of 78,Edgware Rd London 1790- 1840 who made percussion sporting guns at the latter part of his career.
As to the muzzle bore diameter 710 is true 13 bore but give wear over the years it most likely would be a large14 bore 701.As to value it all depends on condition.
Feltwad

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2006 at 11:41pm
70guy   Ex Member

thanks feltwad,,,,I will most likely sell it,,,cant start collecting these on top of all the others,,,,Thanks again,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,JIM

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Aug 18th, 2006 at 2:35am

bill_curtis   Offline
Wales

I am very sorry to have to report that the gun is not a real William Moore but is a Birmingham Proofed 9 Bore with post 1856 Proof and is of the quality found at the better end of the "knocked-off" name North American Trade.  The barrels may have been made in Belgium and the gun finished in Birmingham but only a detailed study of the nature of the damascus spiral will show if that is so.  The LONDON LAMINATED STEEL

W. S. (Bill) Curtis
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Aug 18th, 2006 at 3:38am

bill_curtis   Offline
Wales

For some reason the previous reply went off unfinished so here it is again -

I am very sorry to have to report that the gun is not a real William Moore but is a late Birmingham 9 Bore with post 1856 Proof and is of the quality found at the better end of the “knocked-off name” North American Export Trade.  The barrels may have been made in Belgium and the gun finished in Birmingham but only a detailed study of the nature of the Damascus spiral will show if that is so.  The LONDON LAMINATED STEEL marking is a virtual guarantee that the gun was intended for the North American market.  William Moore guns bear the name, the address and a unique Serial Number.

Virtually the same remarks apply to similar guns marked W. Richards and other British sounding names.  These guns also often bear Belgian proof.

The guns are not rubbish of dangerous quality but they are at the low end of the range and were intended for prolonged use by poor farmers and the like.  The LONDON FINE TWIST and all the other similar barrel markings appear to have had a definite connection with North America.   Only very rarely, if at all, will such marking be found on guns from anywhere else in the world.

W. S. (Bill) Curtis
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Aug 18th, 2006 at 7:07am
70guy   Ex Member

Thanks for all your info and all your help,,,,NICE SITE,,,hope to use it again,,,,,,,,,,,,JIM

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print